Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cooking, eating and thinking...



First a note on the picture: It was an after thought! After eating about 12 (yes,TWELVE)crepes I thought I better take a picture for the blog...

As I type this apples are sauteing and crepes are cooking (hold on while I flip one...ok maybe cooking and typing isn't a good idea...HA!) As I was preparing my crepe batter questions started swirling around in my mind. Not just the normal questions like would duck eggs make this better and shall I add 1/2 tsp of vanilla or go for a whole tsp. But rather questions like why does crepe batter seem to work better after resting for about a half hour in the fridge. And why was the crepe batter I made last time so airy? They turned out more like fish net stockings then thin sweet little paper pancakes. Why were they airy last time and not this time or the million other times I have made them? I wonder if the high fat butter content of the raw milk I am using this time will make them taste and feel any different and if so why? But of course my thoughts don't stop there. I also sit back and wonder if someone is starting a love affair with crepes for the very first time, are they on a side street some where in Paris, and will they go home and try and recreate this very moment in their own kitchen? I know I relive Paris every time I eat crepes!

I will post the recipe I use for crepes, you can alter it making it better suited for savory crepes or adjust it for sweet crepes.

1 cup AP flour
1 tsp - 2 Tbs sugar (use less for savory dishes, and more for sweet dishes)
1/4 tsp salt (I prefer slightly more then this amount)
3 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs melted butter

In large mixing bowl, sift dry ingredients.

In separate mixing bowl beat eggs, milk and vanilla.

Beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth. At the end still in the melted butter.

Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and ladle approximately 1/4 cup batter into pan. Using the back of your ladle swish the batter around the pan making a nice thin layer. You will need to work fast smoothing it out. Or if you are extremely talented you can simply hold the handle of you pan and swish the batter around with a few quick tilts.

For fillings you can saute apple slices, or add nutella, nuts, banana slices and whipped cream. Also peach preserves taste heavenly in crepes. The sky is truly the limit on what to use as a filling! Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment