Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Every thing but the kitchen sink-soup!

 
Posted by Picasa


There is nothing easier then throwing together an infallible soup with just simple ingredients from your kitchen. Today I noticed there were a few things I had on hand that either need to be eaten soon or where going to have to be composted. As much as I am sure my little composting worms would have enjoyed the food, I am not a big fan of waste. So I set out to make my mouth watering "every thing but the kitchen sink" soup.

So what goes into this soup? Well as the name implies-everything (but the kitchen sink!) I had an opened glass jar of tomato sauce, one onion, two potatoes, a can of kidney beans, a can of celery soup, a handful of yellow lentils, frozen corn, frozen green beans, fresh carrots, chicken broth, white vinegar,one jalapeno, salt, pepper, and a dash of hot flakes.

There were no immediate plans for the onion so I pureed it in my smallest food processor. The jar of tomato sauce HAD to be used. I originally opened it for some other dish and didn't use it all. If you don't have any tomato sauce simply use fresh! The potatoes were starting to look bored and slightly offended in the fact that I had not yet used them, so in they went. And basically the same with everything else. Make sure you rinse your beans, if you use some.

You can use anything you have on hand. I keep jars with different colored lentils, barley, wild rice, dried peas and corn. They make a great addition to this type of soup. I also buy huge bags of frozen organic vegetables at cost co and giant bags of fresh organic carrots there. Which is perfect for a great vegetable soup.

After you make this a couple of times you will learn exactly what you need to add to give your soup just the right flavor. I MUST have mine with a tang, zip and heat! So for me that means, using vinegar or pepperoncini's with their juices and something hot, like jalapenos or hot sauce. But you might not enjoy sweat rolling down your check while you eat, so play around with it till you know for sure! Enjoy and happy slurping!

No comments:

Post a Comment