Sunday, December 27, 2009

Adventures from Ad Hoc


I read some thing in my new book Ad Hoc, Thomas Keller writes that you should master foods and not just try a new recipe once and move onto the next. But make it several times each time learning something new about it. How it tastes, smells, feels, looks and so on. After attempting TRUE homemade baked beans for the first time, I have decided that I WILL master those darn beans! They had such great flavor but the texture was not perfect for me. Since I was using dried beans rather then canned it made the difference in texture...and not for the good. As well biscuits, I have made them twice now and this second time they turned out a bit better, I am starting to get an idea as to what my problem might be...over working them. So one day you will hear from me saying that I made baked beans that not only tasted wonderful but felt wonderful as well and biscuits that fluffed up like no ones business and just melted in my mouth. Its amazing what inspiration you can find lurking in a book. How one mans simple thought is anothers "ah ha" moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment