Monday, February 2, 2009

Basil Shrimp


First let me say a few things about Basil. I have tried growing basil for several years. Last year was my most successful year. In previous years I have tried growing it my kitchen window and out my deck. I only get a little basil from my plants and then I am left with a small stump. But last year I bought a small basil plant and rather then keeping it were I normally do I took it to an upstairs bedroom where no one sleeps and left it it on the window seat. I would go up and water it every day or other day, just a small amount of water. When I needed basil I would go up and rip off its biggest leaves. I had read on line before doing this that ignoring your basil plant will give you the most success and for me it was true. Not sure why but this worked wonders.

OK now to the recipe. I found this on allrecipes and it is wonderful. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.

2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 lemons, juiced
3 tablespoons mustard
1/2 cup minced fresh basil
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
white pepper
3 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
skewers

In a shallow, non-porous dish or bowl, mix together olive oil and melted butter. Stir in lemon juice, mustard, basil, and garlic, and season with salt and white pepper. Add shrimp, and toss to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat grill to high heat. Remove shrimp from marinade, and thread onto skewers. Discard marinade.
Lightly oil grill grate, and arrange skewers on preheated grill. Cook for 4 minutes, turning once, or until opaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment